El Chaparral border crossing directions – Something to Declare (FMM tourist permits and customs)
***For more Baja driving directions, please see www.discoverbaja.com/go/driving-directions***
In 2012 a new border crossing called “El Chaparral” opened for visitors crossing at San Ysidro from the U.S. to Mexico. The new crossing features new and more lanes and a new customs area. The current entrance to the lanes is only temporary until the I-5 on the U.S. is realigned in 2015 to meet up directly with the border crossing. See below for our directions to cross “El Chaparral” if you have Something to Declare (i.e. you need to stop at immigration to get an FMM tourist permit stamped or you have something to declare with customs).
1. As you near the end of the freeway, you’ll want to be in the far right lanes. You’ll approach the old border crossing. Follow traffic to make a 90 degree right turn.
2. Continue 1/3 mile ride along the border (US side). Stay in far right lane for FMM validation or to declare anything at immigration.
3. Stay in the far right lane and follow the signs for “autodeclaracion.”
4. While other traffic will turn left to cross over the border, stay to the far right and head into the yard with the large Mexican flag.
5. Go into the blue building and ask for the immigration office to have your FMM stamped.
6. After going through immigration and crossing the border, stay in the far right lane to get to the toll road and head up the ramp to Playas de Tijuana/Rosarito-Ensenada