Temporary and Permanent Resident Visas

In November 2012, new immigration laws took effect that changed the names and processes for Mexican resident visas. The terms FM2 and FM3 have been replaced with Residente Temporal (temporary resident) and Residente Permanente (permanent resident). For new visas, the process must be started in the U.S. at the Mexican consulate. Renewals may be processed at Instituto Nacional de Migración (INM).

To obtain a new Temporary or Permanent Resident Visas (formerly FM2s or FM3s), you will need to take the following to the Mexican consulate in the U.S. (Please verify with the authorities beforehand):

  • Passport and one copy of passport
  • Passport photo (there are places around the consulate in SD that will take and process them on the spot)
  • Proof of income – bank and income statements
  • Required fees

At the consulate’s office, they will determine which of the cards you may apply for. You will fill out the application there.

Once you have the necessary paperwork from the consulate, you will stop at the INM office customs at the border on your way into Mexico. They will stamp and validate your entrance into Mexico. You must then go to the customs office closest to your place of residence where they will give you your temporary or permanent visa.

More Resources:
For information and application forms from the Mexican consulate:


For information from the Mexican consulate in San Diego, and the application for a visa, see: