Nautical Sportfishing FMMs

Please note that Discover Baja is currently unable to issue nautical sportfishing FMMs

If you are traveling by boat in Mexico north of Ensenada, you are required by law to have a nautical FMM tourist permit every time you enter Mexican waters. The officials have been cracking down on boats and you will be required to show your fishing license, nautical FMM, and TIP. You can apply and pay online (with Visa or MasterCard) for a nautical sportfishing tourist FMM. FMMs cost $687 pesos per person.

While passengers on the boat can use a passport card (or book) to travel to Mexico and obtain a nautical FMM, the captain of the boat must have a passport BOOK (a passport card will not suffice), in order to obtain a nautical FMM.

Go to Click on “English” on the far right top hand corner. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the red “Sport Fishing And Nautical Tourism” icon. This will take you to a page explaining the steps (listed below) that you need to take to obtain your nautical FMM.

Steps to Follow:

  1. Go to you can find a form that you can download (the first link listed at the bottom – “Sample Form for submission of lists of maritime passengers and crew members”) and enter in your own information for your vessel, entry and departure information, and a list of passengers that will be on board.
  2.  Then go to where you will fill out personal and vessel information and will pay for passengers. The fee is $575.00 pesos per person.
  3. Email both the passenger list document and the receipt showing proof of payment from the Banjercito site to the local INM delegation in Ensneada at
  4. Applicants will receive an email from INM either authorizing the trip or denying entry to Mexico.
  5. The authorizing email will contain INM’s permit to enter as a Visitor without Permission to Perform Paid Activities. The length of stay will cover the amount of time asked for on the application, yet such shall not exceed 180 days nor may it be used for multiple entries and departures. A copy will be sent to the Secretary of the Navy (SEMAR) and to the Secretary of Communications and Transportation (SCT.)

FMMs are valid for single use only. If you are NOT going to be within 12 miles of land with the boat, you do not need to have an FMM.

All boats over 15 feet entering Baja need to have a temporary boat importation permit. For more information, see our Temporary Boat Importation Page.