UPDATED May 2\18, 2023
A large sinkhole opened up in Tijuana along Via Rápida Mexico 1 on the way into Playas de Tijuana. Repairs are expected to take months. The road is drivable but we advise avoiding the area if possible and crossing the border at Otay Mesa (see our directions for taking Boulevard 2000) or Tecate.
As of November 8, 2021 non U.S. citizens who are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and have appropriate documentation are permitted to enter the United States via land ports of entry. Non-essential travelers who are not U.S. citizens should be prepared to (1) provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination, as outlined on the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website; and (2) verbally attest to their reason for travel and COVID-19 vaccination status during a border inspection. Children under 18 years of age will be excepted from the vaccination requirement. U.S. citizens will not have to show proof of vaccination to re-enter the U.S., the vaccination requirements apply only to non-U.S. citizens. More information can be found on the Department of Homeland Security website.
Some of the California/Baja land borders are currently operating on reduced hours:
San Ysidro: open 24 hours
PedWest: open 6am-2pm (open for northbound only)
PedEast: open 24 hours
Otay Mesa: open 24 hours
Mexicali West: open 24 hours
Mexicali East: open 6am-10pm
- South of Ensenada between Estero Beach and the turn off for La Bufadora, there is construction to replace a bridge. Traffic is down to one dirt lane and there is a large detour right at Tony Road/Miguel Allende and Hwy Mex 1. Expect delays.
- There is construction along the Mexico 1 toll road between Playa Saldamando and El Sauzal. Traffic is down to one lane each direction with heavy delays.
- There are new lane configurations at the Tijuana San Ysidro Ready Lane entrance. Stay in the two left lanes to get to the Ready Lane
- Highway Mexico 5 is now paved all the way to Highway Mexico 1 and in good condition.
- Mexico 1 through Maneadero has many potholes. Expect to drive slowly.
- Mex 1 has recently had repairs done and is in good condition from El Rosario to Guerrero Negro.
- Highway Mexico 1 is in very rough condition south of Guerrero Negro between kilometers 40 and 50. Please drive slowly with caution.
- The road out to Abreojos has a number of potholes.
- The north road into Scorpion Bay is passable with a four-wheel drive vehicle with high clearance.
- The road from San Ignacio to Laguna San Ignacio is now paved almost all the way out to the lagoon. There are a few stretches where they are doing road maintenance.
- Highway Mexico 1 has a lot of pot holes and washouts from north of Santa Rosalía near the dump, to south of town going up the hill.
- 30 miles north of Ciudad Insurgentes there are dirt detours while they are constructing bridges.
- The road out to San Javier is now paved all the way. The road is in good condition but the passes through a number of arroyos where vehicles will need to go through water. Be careful after rains. Inquire in Loreto about the latest conditions.
- There is construction on Highway Mexico 1 heading south of La Paz near the UABC campus. Expect minor delays.