UPDATED February 20, 2019:
- Highway Mexico 5 sustained damage from hurricanes last year but is passable for all vehicles if you take it slow. There are about 10-12 miles of detours and construction south of San Felipe. There are 6-7 bridges that are damaged and impassable as well as some washouts, but there are detours set up. Lake Chapala to Gonzaga Bay is open and passable.
- The Mexico 1 toll road between Rosarito and Ensenada is currently under construction from Km. 95-98 around Salsipuedes. Please drive slowly and with caution.
- Road construction is being done on toll road Mex 2D between Tecate and Mexicali from km. 70-90. The road goes down to one lane in both directions. Expect some delays.
- The Ensenada bypass that is planned to go from the northern route of Mex 3 near Valle de Guadalupe to Maneadero is only partially completed and open to local traffic. No word on when construction will be complete.
- Mexico 1 through Maneadero has many potholes.
- There is road work being done on Mex 1 south of Santo Tomás. Expect delays of up to an hour.
- Mex 1 is in extremely rough condition with pot holes and worn roads from about 10 miles south of El Rosario through Cataviña and down to about 10 miles south of Lake Chapala. They are slowly working on patching some stretches of the road, but expect very rough road conditions for almost 200 kilometers.
- Mex 1 is in bad condition with large potholes for about 10 miles around Santa Rosalillita.
- The road out to Abreojos has a number of potholes.
- The north road into Scorpion Bay is passable with a four-wheel drive vehicle with high clearance.
- The road from San Ignacio to Laguna San Ignacio is now paved almost all the way out to the lagoon. There are a few stretches where they are doing road maintenance.
- Highway Mexico 1 has a lot of pot holes and washouts just north of Santa Rosalía. There is construction being done at the entrance of town in Santa Rosalía.
- 30 miles north of Ciudad Insurgentes there are dirt detours while they are constructing bridges.
- There is construction on Mexico 1 south of Ciudad Constitución with dirt detours as they work on widening the road.
- The road out to San Javier is now paved all the way. The road is in good condition but the passes through a number of arroyos where vehicles will need to go through water. Be careful after rains. Inquire in Loreto about the latest conditions.
- There is major construction on Mexico 1 around La Paz beginning at the airport and continuing for two miles as you pass the city. Traffic is down to one lane in areas. Expect some delays.
- There was a large landslide on Highway Mexico 19 south of Todos Santos between kilometers 74 and 75. There is a paved detour while they do construction.
- Cabo toll road is finished and drivable. This is a toll road with exits for Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo and the airport. The fees range from 32 pesos to 70 pesos depending on how far you will be taking the road.
Driving to Baja? Don’t forget your Mexican auto insurance! Discover Baja has premium Mexican auto insurance at discounted rates. Get a free quote and print your own policy at www.discoverbajaonline.com or call 800-727-2252 for more information.