UPDATED Dec. 11, 2019:
- Highway Mexico 5 sustained damage from hurricanes last year but is passable if you take it slow. Between San Felipe and Puertecitos there are numerous short detours around the bridges. Puertecitos to Gonzaga is paved and in good condition. Gonzaga Bay to Highway 1 there are about three miles that remain unpaved.
- The Mexico 1 toll road between Rosarito and Ensenada is currently under construction from Km. 95-98 around Salsipuedes. Drive slowly and with caution.
- Mexico 1 through Maneadero has many potholes. Expect to drive slowly.
- There is road work being done on Mex 1 south of Santo Tomás. Expect delays.
- Mex 1 is in rough condition with pot holes and worn roads south of El Rosario from Km. 144-175 and then again from Km. 187 to Guerrero Negro. They are working slowly on road repairs in this area.
- The road out to Abreojos has a number of potholes.
- The north road into Scorpion Bay is passable with a four-wheel drive vehicle with high clearance.
- The road from San Ignacio to Laguna San Ignacio is now paved almost all the way out to the lagoon. There are a few stretches where they are doing road maintenance.
- Highway Mexico 1 has a lot of pot holes and washouts just north of Santa Rosalía near the dump.
- 30 miles north of Ciudad Insurgentes there are dirt detours while they are constructing bridges.
- The road out to San Javier is now paved all the way. The road is in good condition but the passes through a number of arroyos where vehicles will need to go through water. Be careful after rains. Inquire in Loreto about the latest conditions.
Driving to Baja? Don’t forget your Mexican auto insurance! Discover Baja has premium Mexican auto insurance at discounted rates. Get a free quote and print your own policy at www.discoverbajaonline.com or call 800-727-2252 for more information.