El Chaparral border crossing directions – Nothing to Declare
***For more Baja driving directions, please see www.discoverbaja.com/go/driving-directions***
In 2012 a new border crossing called “El Chaparral” opened for visitors crossing at San Ysidro from the U.S. to Mexico. The new crossing features new and more lanes and a new customs area. The current entrance to the lanes is only temporary until the I-5 on the U.S. is realigned in 2015 to meet up directly with the border crossing. See below for our directions to cross “El Chaparral” if you have nothing to declare.
1. You’ll approach the old border crossing. Follow traffic to make 90 degree right turn.
2. Continue 1/3 mile ride along the border (US side). Stay in the middle or left lanes.
3. Follow traffic to make a left turn to approach the border.
4. Proceed to any of the lanes with green arrows.
5. Proceed through if you get green lights. If you get a red light, you will need to pull over into secondary and open your hood and trunk for customs officers.
6. After crossing the border, stay in the far right lane to get to the toll road and head up the ramp to Playas de Tijuana/Rosarito-Ensenada