South Dakota License Plates

South Dakota license plate -

The following is the procedure to follow to obtain a South Dakota Title and License Plate. By doing this procedure you no longer need to pay California state registration or have your vehicle smogged every two years.

-Visit this web site

-Print out and complete form  Application for Motor Vehicle Title & Registration (Form #1001) 

-If you do not have a U.S. address or if you only have a mail-forwarding P.O. Box, you will need to complete an affidavit and have it notarized. You can download the affidavit at:

-After you complete the form, you will need to call The Clay County Treasurer Office and have give them the vehicle information to obtain the vehicle weight. They will then tell you the amount you need to pay based on the vehicle weight. Phone number is 605-677-7123

-Send the completed form, your check for the specified amount from the Treasurers Office and the Title (pink slip) to your vehicle. Yes, you surrender your pink slip.

-The address to mail the form is  211 W Main St. Suite 201, Vermillion, South Dakota, 57069

-You will receive your new pink slip and license plates in the mail in about a week. The plates and pink slip arrive separately.

-For renewal, call the office and tell them you want to do the renewal over the phone with a credit card. You do not need to have property or a post office box in South Dakota or a S.D. drivers license.

-When you contact the office you do not need to elaborate on your circumstances (living in Mexico). During the renewal process they only ask if your mailing address has remained the same.


Driving in Baja? Don’t forget your Mexican auto insurance! Discover Baja has the best rates and the highest-quality insurance. Visit or call 800-727-2252 for more information.

4 thoughts on “South Dakota License Plates

  1. Helen Murillo says:

    I am disabled and living in Baja Ca and am looking into getting a South Dakota Plates, I have a disabled place card, would it be possible to get handicap South Dakota plates?

    Thank You for your time!

    1. ProsperEgan says:

      My husband has CA handicapped placard. Can he get one for SD?

      1. Kathy Perkins says:

        My understanding from talking to SD DMV is you must have a SD drivers license to get the handicap plates. My husband has the same situation. We are going to get licenses this summer while visiting Colorado

  2. Jon Prusheik says:

    Can you register online without S.D license?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *