UPDATED July 21, 2017, 12pm:
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE SAN YSIDRO EL CHAPARRAL BORDER CROSSING WILL BE CLOSED TO ALL SOUTHBOUND VEHICLES SEPT. 23-25, 2017!
- Motorcyclists crossing the southbound San Ysidro El Chaparral border should be aware that there is a 6 inch trench in the pavement just past the “L” curve.
- The Mexico 1 toll road between Rosarito and Ensenada is currently under construction around Salsipuedes. Northbound and southbound traffic share the same side of the highway for a few kilometers. Please drive slowly and with caution.
- There’s road work being done on Mex 3 between Tecate and Valle de Guadalupe just north of Valle de Guadalupe. They are working to expand the road so expect road work and a few easy detours on dirt roads that run parallel to the road.
- The Ensenada bypass that is planned to go from the northern route of Mex 3 near Valle de Guadalupe to Maneadero is only partially completed and open to local traffic. No word on when construction will be complete.
- Mexico 1 through Maneadero has many potholes.
- They are widening the road through the Valle de Santo Tomás so expect construction and dirt detours in two spots. Drive slowly and expect minor delays. Be careful after heavy rains and do not drive this section at night.
- The paved road on Mex 5 from San Felipe to Puertecitos is in rough condition. The road has been erroded in many areas and there are potholes. Drive slowly as the numerous vados and dips can sneak up on you as well.
- Mex 5 from Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay is paved and in great condition. The paved road continues for about 30 kilometers past Gonzaga before the pavement ends. There are another 23 miles or so of dirt road before you reach Mex 1. Construction crews are actively working to complete the paved road, but progress is slow. Take care on the dirt road and only drive during daylight hours.
- Mex 1 is in very rough condition with pot holes and worn roads from around Km. 133 north of Cataviña to the turn off for Bahía de los Ángeles at Km. 280. Stretches of the road have been patched, but expect rough road conditions for about 150 kilometers.
- There are washouts in the two vados both north and south of Cataviña.
- The road out to Abreojos has a number of potholes.
- The north road into Scorpion Bay is passable with a four-wheel drive vehicle with high clearance.
- The road from San Ignacio to Laguna San Ignacio is now paved almost all the way out to the lagoon. There are a few stretches where they are doing road maintenance.
- Highway Mexico 1 has a lot of pot holes and washouts just north of Santa Rosalía. There is construction being done at the entrance of town in Santa Rosalía.
- 30 miles north of Ciudad Insurgentes there are dirt detours while they are constructing bridges.
- There is construction on Mexico 1 south of Ciudad Constitución with dirt detours as they work on widening the road.
- There are a few paved detours on Mexico 1 south of Loreto as they are working on bridges and construction.
- The road out to San Javier is paved except for a stretch between kilometers 14 and 15 where there is a graded dirt road. The road is in good condition but the road passes through a number of arroyos where vehicles will need to go through water. Be careful after rains. Inquire in Loreto about the latest conditions.
- The road north of La Paz is in rough condition due to construction. About 50 kilometers north of town there are numerous detours for about 6 kilometers going through arroyos. Drive with caution and patience.
- The paved road out to Bahía de los Sueños is in bad condition with washouts and many potholes.
- The Cabo bypass is finished and drivable. This is a toll road with exits for Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo and the airport. The fees range from 32 pesos to 70 pesos depending on how far you will be taking the road.
Driving to Baja? Don’t forget your Mexican auto insurance! Discover Baja has premium Mexican auto insurance at discounted rates. Get a free quote and print your own policy at www.discoverbajaonline.com or call 800-727-2252 for more information.