We know that trying to find your way to the San Ysidro border in Tijuana to return to the U.S. is challenging for even the most experienced Baja veterans. We’ve put together directions that show you step-by-step how to reach the San Ysidro Fast Pass Lane at the border from the toll road via the newly reopened Via Internacional.
In order to use the Fast Pass Lane for expedited border crossing, you must have a received a Fast Pass from a medical establishment or hotel in Baja. This Fast Pass is good for one-time use only. For more information about the Fast Pass and establishments where you can get a pass, visit our Fast Pass Page.
For a PDF of the San Ysidro Fast Pass Lane directions that you can download to print and take with you: CLICK HERE
1. Heading north on the toll road, you will go through the last toll booth. Playas de Tijuana will be on your left. Continue on this road for a few miles.
2. You will come over the hill and into the valley where you’ll see signs for SAN DIEGO, INTERSTATE 5 directing you to the right.
3. Follow the sings for SAN DIEGO/ZONA RIO to take the off ramp on the right. You will loop around on the off ramp.
4. After taking the off ramp, get over to the left, following lanes for SAN DIEGO/ZONA RIO and continue on the road up the hill.
5. The road will continue up the hill and curve to the right. You will drive on Via Internacional alongside the border for a few miles, following signs for San Diego.
6. You will see a sign for SAN DIEGO I-5/PASEO DE LOS HEROES. Get in the right lane.
7. Turn off to the right of the PEMEX station, following signs for SAN DIEGO I-5/PASEO DE LOS HEROES.
8. You will approach a traffic light in one block. Smart & Final will be on your left. Turn left at the traffic light onto Calle Segunda.
9. The border entrance will be straight ahead. For Fast Pass, you will follow signs for Col. Federal in the third lane from the left, going just to the RIGHT of the concrete barrier (where the white car is headed in the photo). You will continue up the ramp and over a bridge.
10. Once up the ramp, go to the LEFT when the road splits. You will stop at the booth to hand the officer your paperwork. Even if you see cones blocking off the entrance, it is not closed. Pull up and someone will come out of the booth.
Driving to Baja? Don’t forget your Mexican auto insurance! Discover Baja has the best rates and the highest-quality insurance. Visit www.discoverbajaonline.com or call 800-727-2252 for more information.