PLEASE NOTE THAT AS OF MARCH 2014, THE ENTRANCE TO THE SENTRI LANE AT SAN YSIDRO HAS BEEN CHANGED. YOU CAN FIND INFORMATION ON THE UPDATE HERE.
See below for directions to the San Ysidro SENTRI Lane at the Tijuana border from the toll road.
For a PDF that you can download and print to take with you: http://www.discoverbaja.com/pdf/San-Ysidro-SENTRI-Lane-directions.pdf
Driving to Baja? Don’t forget your Mexican auto insurance! Discover Baja has the best rates and the highest-quality insurance. Visit www.discoverbajaonline.com or call 800-727-2252 for more information.
1. Heading north on the toll road, you will go through the last toll booth. Playas de Tijuana will be on your left. Continue on this road for a few miles.
2. You will come over the hill and into the valley where you’ll see signs for SAN DIEGO, INTERSTATE 5 directing you to the right.
3. Follow the sings for SAN DIEGO/ ZONA RIO to take the off ramp on the right. You will loop around on the off ramp.
4. After taking the off ramp, get over to the left, following lanes for SAN DIEGO/ZONA RIO and continue on the road up the hill.
5. The road will continue up the hill and curve to the right. You will drive on Via Internacional alongside the border for a few miles, following signs for San Diego.
6. You will see a sign for SAN DIEGO I‐5/PASEO DE LOS HEROES. Get in the right lane.
7. Turn off to the right of the PEMEX station, following signs for SAN DIEGO I-5/PASEO DE LOS HEROES.
8. You will approach a traffic light in one block. Smart & Final will be on your left. Turn left at the traffic light onto Calle Segunda (be aware that there will be no sign directing you to turn to get to the border here, you have to know the turn).
9. The border entrance will be straight ahead. For SENTRI, you will follow signs for Col. Federal in the third lane from the left, going just to the RIGHT of the concrete barrier (where the white car is headed in the photo). You will continue up the ramp and over a bridge.
10. Once up the ramp, stay to the RIGHT when the road splits. The road will then merge with other lanes. Stay in that left lane.
11. You will come to a stop sign at a roundabout. Make a U-turn. You will go over a large speedbump. The road will curve to the right.
12. Stay in the middle lane and follow the signs for PASEO CENTENARIO which will lead you to the left (but stay to the RIGHT of the concrete barrier). You will go under the bridge.
13. You will approach a stop sign. There will be a “no left turn” sign posted, but most people turn left here to access the SENTRI lane. (If the left turn is blocked off or there is a police officer present, please see our alternate directions below.)
14. Follow the signs for SENTRI directing you to curve to the left
15. Continue straight ahead in the left lane to get to the SENTRI lanes. Have your SENTRI cards ready for the card reader and the CBP officer.
ALTERNATE DIRECTIONS if left turn is closed to get to SENTRI Lane.
If the left turn in #13 is blocked off, you will need to continue straight through the stop sign. The overview of the detour from the stop sign in #13 to the SENTRI lane entrance is mapped here.
16. If the left turn is blocked off, you will need to continue straight through the stop sign.
17. At the first roundabout, make a right turn
18. Continue for one black and then turn right onto VIA RAPIDA FRONTERAGE ROAD. Stay on this road. (There will be a break in the barrier to turn off to the left for access to the Ready Lane – do NOT take it, continue on the road you are on).
19. The road will curve around to the right. After a mile you will approach a stop sign at the intersection from #13 (from a different angle). You will need to be in either the left or middle lane.
20. Follow traffic continue through the stop sign.
21. Follow the signs directing you to the SENTRI lanes.