UPDATED DECEMBER 4, 2014
Hurricane Odile, the strongest hurricane to make landfall in Baja, hit the peninsula hard September 14, 2014 as a category 3 hurricane with heavy rains, 125-mph winds, and severe flooding. It caused extensive damage in Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo, La Paz, Todos Santos, Mulege and Loreto. The San Jose del Cabo airport is now reopened and fully operational. Please check directly with your airline for specific information. Roads are passable all the way down the peninsula. Many areas will be rebuilding for month to come. Please support Baja by continuing to travel the peninsula to help tourism recover.
Discover Baja is pleased to announce our “Back to Baja” campaign with discounts of up to 40% at resorts, hotels, RV parks, restaurants and activities in Baja California Sur. It’s our way of encouraging you to get back to BCS to help stimulate and rebuild the community. What better way to support the area than by getting down there to relax at a beautiful hotel, enjoy the gorgeous white-sand beaches, dine at the fabulous restaurants, unwind with a spa day or enjoy a round of golf. Find out more here.
The Los Cabos Internation airport (SJD) is now reopen for commercial flights. Check directly with your airline for specifics.
The La Paz and Loreto airports are open.
Baja ferries (out of La Paz) has re-established all Ferries traveling to and from the coast of mainland Mexico
The road is open from Tijuana to Cabo and passable for all types of vehicles. Along Highway 1 there are a few washed out vados and routine road construction detours, but otherwise the roads are great.
Below are specific updates are we are hearing them:
-The usual rough wash about 3 km north of Cataviña is rougher than usual. The arroyo south of Cataviña is down to one lane with a dirt fill-in.
-South of Guerrero Negro, there is construction on the elevated roadway between KM 27 and KM 28.5. Expect delays while they are working on the road.
-It’s slow going was the ongoing construction between Napolo and Puerto Escondido. Expect delays.
-The road is very rough the 10KM north of La Paz where they’re working on a new four lane highway. Expect some delays.
-There are sections of dirt road around Vizcaino. No detours but drive with caution.
-Highway 5 out of Gonzaga Bay to Highway 1 is full of lots of water and rocks and requires extreme caution and slow travels. Even in a 4WD, the road is treacherous and slow.
-The Punta Prieta to Bahía de los Angeles road is washed out in several places but the bypasses are smooth and not a problem.
-The road to San Borja is down to bare bedrock in places and soft sand in others. 4WD is highly recommended as a regular sedan will probably not make it.
-They’ve opened a bypass road around the collapsed Cuadano bridge on the way from Los Barriles to San Jose del Cabo
-In Mulege the first arroyo south of Coyote on the highway has been washed out
-In Santa Rosalía, the road is open north to Vizcanio and south to La Paz but it is rough
-Some bits of road near Todos Santos are damaged, but not completely, so that they can be used with care
-The north road to Scorpion Bay is still impassable. The road from the south through Las Barrancas is now passable however only to large vehicles such as SUVs and trucks and it is still very treacherous. Small cars will not be able to pass safely. Any more rain in the region will cause the arroyos to flood again and make the roads impassable again.
-The roads for the last 50 miles into La Paz from the north, are washed out and in rough condition. There are detours, but the detours are in bad shape as well. Don’t drive at night and use caution.
Cabo Hotel Reopenings Listed by Date
This list was provided by the Los Cabos Hotel Association
Updated Dec 4, 2014
- Bahía Hotel and Beach Club
- Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos
- Best Western Aeropuerto San José del Cabo
- Cabo Villas Beach Resort & Spa
- Casa Dorada At Medano Beach
- Decameron All Inclusive Resort
- El Encanto Inn
- Fiesta Americana Grand Los Cabos
- Grand Solmar Land’s End Resort & Spa
- Hacienda Beach Club And Residences
- Hacienda Encantada Resort & Spa
- Holiday Inn Express Cabo San Lucas
- Hotel California (Todos Santos)
- Hotel Guaycura (Todos Santos)
- Hotel Suites Las Palmas
- Los Cabos Golf Resort At Country Club
- Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa
- Montecristo Estates By Pueblo Bonito
- Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa
- Posada Real Los Cabos
- Pueblo Bonito Los Cabos Resort
- Pueblo Bonito Pacífica Holistic Retreat & Spa
- Pueblo Bonito Rosé Resort & Spa
- Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Resort & Spa
- Quinta del Sol
- Riu Palace Los Cabos
- RIU Santa Fe
- Royal Solaris Los Cabos
- Sandos Finisterra
- Secrets Puerto Los Cabos
- Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar Resort & Spa
- Solmar Resort
- The Ridge At Playa Grande
- Tropicana Inn
- Villa Del Arco Beach Resort & Spa
- Villa Del Palmar Beach, Resort & Spa
- Villa La Estancia Beach, Resort & Spa
- Wyndham Cabo San Lucas
- Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos
- Secrets Marquis Los Cabos. Guests scheduled to travel to Secrets Marquis Los Cabos from November 15 – December 19 will be automatically transferred to Secrets Puerto Los Cabos and booked in the same room category and at the same rate. Guests wishing to stay at Secrets Marquis Los Cabos at a later date will receive the previously honored rates for up to a year, based on availability. Guests should re-book their reservations through their original booking channel and then contact the reservations manager at the resort with details of the new booking. They should include all booking information along with a screenshot of the original rate at which the room was booked.
- Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos
- Me By Meliá Cabo
- Esperanza An Auberge Resort
- One & Only Palmilla
- The Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos
- Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos
- Cabo Azul Resort & Spa
- Hyatt Place Los Cabos
- Meliá Cabo Real All Inclusive Beach
To Be Determined:
- Capella Pedregal Los Cabos
- Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
- El Ganzo
- Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
- Las Ventanas Al Paraíso
- Marbella Suites en la Playa
- Sirena del Mar
- The Grand Mayan Los Cabos
- Zöetry Casa Del Mar, Suites, Golf & Spa Resort
Updated List of Golf Course Openings in Alphabetical Order:
Cabo del Sol – November 15, ESTIMATED
Cabo del Sol Ocean – October 1, holes 10-15 CONFIRMED. Complete course November 1, ESTIMATED
Cabo Real – October 1, CONFIRMED
Chileno Bay – October 31. ESTIMATED
Club Campestre San José- October 1, CONFIRMED
Cabo San Lucas Country Club – October 4, CONFIRMED
Diamante’s El Cardonal, mid-December CONFIRMED
Diamante Dunes – November 1st, ESTIMATED
El Dorado – to be determined
Palmilla- December 15, ESTIMATED
Puerto Los Cabos – October 1, CONFIRMED
Punta Sur -November 27, ESTIMATED
Querencia – October 7, CONFIRMED
Quivera Golf Club – October 9, CONFIRMED